Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Week 1

I had my first Opitfast class last night. It is a mix of new people, people who have done Opitfast before and did not stick with their maintenance, and people who are continuing from another group (if you do not reach your goal in 20 weeks, you can join a new group and keep going until you feel ready for maintenance). I don't really feel that it is my place to share their stories, so I will try to stay away from talking too much about other people. I will say that having some people in the class that are 20+ weeks into the plan is really inspiring. It's nice to see that it can be done.
The class is set up in the round, and the first part of the class we introduced ourselves and talked about why we were there. The second half we went around and finished statements that the counselor had on the board. "One way I overeat because___" This was hard for me because I don't really consider myself an overeater. I'm sure that my portion sizes are way too big, but I don't feel like I binge eat, and I don't feel like I am an emotional eater...for the most part...I know I tend to snack when I am bored, but I don't really feel like I eat when I'm sad or angry or stressed. at lease not any more than I eat any other time. I am open to learning more about myself and maybe as I do I will see that I eat for these reasons, but for now, I feel like I just make really bad food choices. Those bad choices have lead to habits and certainly addictions. I like the fact that they are going to work on our emotional issues but mostly I am interested in breaking the addiction to sugar and high fat fast food.
So, I have one more week to eat. I'm trying not to make a big deal out of it. It's not like I will never eat my favorite foods again. I am going to hit a buffet before next Wednesday, mostly because I love mashed potatoes, and buffets have the BEST mashed potatoes and gravy. But besides that I am going to cook a couple things and then I am done. No looking back and no regrets. Like my counselor said, why am I going to spend $105 a week to fail?

No comments: